English Vocabulary: Medical Words
Alice's parents are killed in a fire. Driven catatonic and having attempted suicide (note her bandaged wrists), she is institutionalised in Rutledge Asylum. Years later Alice is called by the White Rabbit to the aid of a radically altered Wonderland, under threat from the Red Queen, the evil despot who has enslaved its people. The Cheshire Cat is a frightening incarnation, and is her constant companion throughout the game, popping up now and again to guide the player or offer advice.
- halitosis → (dragon mouth) that Princeses Diana has halitosis… [Time Mag. 2001-02-05]
- flatulence → fart.
- fibrillation → the twitching of an eye.
- tinnitus → the ringing sound in the ear
- expectorate → hawking phlegm. Some Cold medicine will have the word “expectorant” on its label, meaning it soothes cough or resolve phlegm.
- horripilation → goose bumps
- brachydactylia → Having abnormally short fingers or toes.
- microcephalic → small head. some people are microcephalic, while others are macrocephalic.
- homeopathy → minute dosage as a cure.
- chiropractic → all illness came from the spine
- -a nares → nostrils
- -a morphology → In the movie _Silence of the Lamb_ (1991), a moth's morphology is involved.
- -a taxonomy
- -a apoplectic → After they've spent half an hour downloading Billy-Ray, hipsters everywhere are going to be apoplectic, and they'll blame the system. [satire. Third World Blind
- -a photogenic → often used on a girl
… In imagining what might have happened, one of America's most provocative young writers, Katie Roiphe, has created a deep, richly textured fictional portrait of Alice and Dodgson: she changing from an unruly child to a bewitching adolescent, and he, a diffident, neurasthenic adult whose increasing obsession with her almost destroys him.
2004. Publisher's description of fiction Still She Haunts Me by Katie Roiphe.
neurasthenic royal is accused of making more crank calls.
Time mag's Winners and Losers Page 1. On Diana, Princess of Wales.
neurasthenic = of or relating to or suffering from neurasthenia; nervous breakdown.
- catatonia → Stunned to the point of catatonia, she wanders alone in a garden.
- hypochondria → convinced of being sick
- klismaphilia → (enema love)
- coprolalia → You need some manners. For a seemingly bright guy, you've got to realize no one is going to take you seriously if you act like the a village idiot with a bad case of copralalia. [email received]
- coprophilia → love of feces — a love bizarre!
- homophobe → aversion of homosexual
- xenophobic → fearing foreign folks
- sigmoid → The sigmoid colon is a looped section of the bowel just above the rectum. It is shaped somewhat like a question mark, hence its name.
- -a dyscalculia → clinical inability to solve math problems
- -a echolalia → autistic echoing of other people's words
- -a glossolalia
- -a melancholia
- -a memorabilia
- -a necrophilia
- -n triskelia → the symbol found in Japanese or Korean cultures, kinda like the taichi yin-yan simpbol but three-fold.
- -n swastika → an ancient symbol used as the emblem of Nazi Germany. 卐, 卍. → With swastica in my eyes, i rule the world with my vision, with totality and categorical mien, forgiving no one.
SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome], an atypical pneumonia of unknown etiology, was recognized at the end of February 2003.
The World Health Organization, 2003-03
- oncology → branch on tumors
- geriatrics →
- eugenics → controlled breeding. Not to be confused with genetics. Eugenics is passe, stuff of old science fiction. Today we are onto nano-biology, clones, DNA tampering, and designer humans.
- orthodontics → teeth correction, braces
- odontology → dentist shit
- dentition → The type, number, and arrangement of a set of teeth. (AHD)
- periodontics → gum desease stuff
- ophthalmology → eye stuff